- Ph.D., Environmental Science, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University (2006)
- M.S., Environmental Science, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University (2003)
- M.S., Chemistry, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (1997)
- B.S., Chemistry, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (1995)
Dr. Eunha Hoh’s research interests focus on the investigation of diverse environmental pollutants in the environment and their impact on human health. Her current research projects focus on ocean and human health and thirdhand smoke. Chemicals of interest are known toxic organic pollutants such as persistent organic pollutants (POPs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), tobacco smoke residues (thirdhand smoke components), as well as potentially toxic brominated/chlorinated flame retardants, their degradation products, and other emerging contaminants. Dr. Hoh recently developed a nontargeted analytical approach for detection of a broad range of organic chemicals in fish oil and marine mammal blubber samples using novel instrumentation. Using this approach, she discovered and identified previously unknown halogenated compounds including naturally occurring halogenated products and other contaminants in the fish oil and marine environment. She is working on further development of the nontargeted analytical approach and its application towards various types of samples for environment monitoring and food safety. Most of her work involves the application of chromatography and mass spectrometry.
Dr. Eunha Hoh is an Associate Professor of Environmental Health at the Graduate School of Public Health. Dr. Hoh received her doctoral degree in Environmental Science in 2006, under the guidance of Distinguished Professor Ronald A. Hites at Indiana University. Her research focused on the fate and transport of organohalogen contaminants in the atmosphere and the investigation of previously unrecognized halogenated flame retardants in the environment. After her graduation, she worked as a postdoctoral researcher in the field of food safety at the USDA Agricultural Research Service, Eastern Regional Research Center, located near Philadelphia, PA. She developed novel analytical methods which included fast and efficient analyses of multiple classes of targeted chemical residues, and a nontargeted analytical approach for organic compounds of interest in food and environmental samples. Prior to pursuing her degree in Environmental Science, she received a master’s degree in Chemistry at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology in South Korea and worked in industry.
- Quintana PJE, Matt GE, Chatfield DA, Zakarian JM, Fortmann AL, Hoh E. Wipe sampling for nicotine as a marker of thirdhand tobacco smoke contamination on surfaces in homes, cars and hotels. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, in press.
- Rochman CM, Hoh E, Hentschel BT, Kaye S. Long-term field measurement of sorption of organic contaminants to five types of plastic pellets: Implications for plastic marine debris. Environmental Science and Technology, in press.
- Hoh E, Dodder NG, Lehotay SJ, Pangallo KC, Reddy CM, Maruya KA. A non-targeted GC×GC/TOF-MS method and software for inventorying persistent and bioacuumulative contaminants in marine environments. Environmental Science and Technology 2012;46:8001-8008.
- Manzano C, Hoh E, Staci MS. Improved separation of complex polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon mixtures using novel column combinations in GC×GC/ToF-MS. Environmental Science and Technology 2012;46:7677-7684.
- Hoh E, Hunt RN, Quintana PJE, Zakarian JM, Chatfield DA, Wittry BC, Rodriguez E, Matt GE. Environmental tobacco smoke as a source of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in settled household dust. Environmental Science & Technology 2012:46(7):4174-4183.
- Ngo HL, Hoh E, Foglia TA, Lin W. Improved synthesis and characterization of saturated branched-chain fatty acid isomers. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology 2012:114:213-221.
- Van A, Rochman CM, Flores EM, Hill KL, Vargas E, Vargas SA, Hoh E. Persistent organic pollutants in plastic marine debris found on beaches in San Diego, California. Chemosphere 2012; 86:258-263
- Matt G, Quintana PJE, Zakarian JM, Fortmann AL, Chatfield DA, Hoh E, Uribe AM, Hovell MF. When smokers move out and nonsmokers move in: Residential thirdhand smoke pollution and exposure. Tobacco Control 2011; 20:e1. PMID: 21037269
- Lehotay SJ, Son KA, Kwon H, Koesukwiwat U, Fu W, Mastovska K, Hoh E, Leepipatpiboon N. Comparison of QuEChERS Sample preparation methods for the analysis of pesticide residues in fruits and vegetables. Journal of Chromatography A 2010;1217:2548-2560.
- Hoh E, Lehotay SJ, Pangallo JC, Mastovska K, Ngo HL, Reddy CM, Vetter W. Simultaneous quantitation of multiple classes of organohalogen compounds in fish oils with direct sample introduction comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography and time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2009;57:2653-2660.
- Hoh E, Lehotay SJ, Mastovska K, Ngo HL, Vetter W, Pangallo JC, Reddy CM. Capabilities of direct sample introduction-comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography- time-of-flight mass spectrometry to analyze organic chemicals of interest in fish oils. Environmental Science and Technology 2009;43:3240-3247.
- Hoh E, Mastovska K. Large volume injection techniques in capillary gas chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A 2008;1186:2-15.
- Hoh E, Lehotay SJ, Mastovska K, Huwe JK. Evaluation of automated direct sample introduction with comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography/time-of-flight mass spectrometry for the screening analysis of dioxins in fish oil. Journal of Chromatography A, 2008;1201:69-77.
- Hoh E, Mastovska K, Lehotay SJ. Optimization of separation and detection conditions for GC×GC-TOF analysis of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans. Journal of Chromatography A 2007;1145:210-221.
- Hoh E, Zhu LY, Hites RA. Dechlorane Plus, a chlorinated flame retardant, in the Great Lakes. Environmental Science and Technology/I> 2006<;40:1184-1189.
- Hoh E, Hites RA. Brominated flame retardants in the atmosphere of the eastern United States. Environmental Science and Technology 2005;39:7794-7802.
- Hoh E, Zhu LY, Hites RA. Novel flame retardants, 1,2-Bis(2,4,6-tribromophenoxy)ethane and 2,3,4,5,6-Pentabromoethylbenzene, in United States’ environmental samples. Environmental Science and Technology 2005;39:2472-2477.
- Hoh E, Hites RA. Brominated flame retardants in the atmosphere of the Eastern United States. Environmental Science and Technology 2005;39:7794-7802.
- Hoh E, Hites RA. Sources of toxaphene and other organochlorine pesticides in North America as determined by air measurements and potential source contribution function analysis. Environmental Science and Technology 2004; 38:4187-4194.