- M.P.H., Health Promotion, San Diego State University (1991)
- M.D., University of Utah (1982)
- B.A., Biology, University of California-San Diego (1978)
- American Public Health Association
- Association of Teachers of Preventive Medicine
- Co-director, Center for Behavioral & Community Health Studies
Chronic Diesease among Latinos: Diabetes, Cancer Prevention and Control, Oral Health, Border Health, Health Promotion in Latin America
Dr. Talavera is a bilingual, bicultural physician trained in public health and preventive medicine. During the early part of his career he practiced ambulatory medicine in the Spanish-speaking, underserved communities of San Diego's border region. His current research interests explore the culture-specific beliefs that serve as barriers to chronic disease prevention and control. Currently he is associate professor at the Graduate School of Public Health, Division of Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences. He is co-director of the Center for Behavioral and Community Health Studies.
- Philis-Tsimikas, Athena (2004) Improvement in Diabetes Care of Underinsured Patients Enrolled in Project Dulce. Diabetes Care. 27: 110-115.
- Woodruff, S.I., Talavera, G.A., and Elder, J.P. (2002) Evaluation of a culturally appropriate smoking cessation intervention for Latinos. Tobacco Control. 11: 361-367.
- Talavera, G.A., Ramirez, A.G., Trapido, E.J., Suarez, L., Villarreal, R., Marti, J., and Perez-Stable, E.J. (2002) Predictors of Digital Rectal Examination in U.S. Latinos. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 22: 36-41.
- Perez-Stable, E.J., Ramirez, A.G., Villarreal, R., Talavera, G.A., Trapido, E.J., Suarez, L., and Marti, J. (2001) Cigarette Smoking Behavior Among U.S. Latino Men and Women From Different Countries of Origin. Journal of American Public Health Association. 91: 1424-1430.
- Ramirez, A.G., Suarez, L., McAlister, A., Villarreal, R., Trapido, E.J., Talavera, G.A., Perez-Stable, E.J., and Marti, J. (2000) Cervical Cancer Screening in Regional Hispanic Populations. American Journal of Health Behavior. 24: 181-192.
- Ramirez, A.G., Talavera, G.A., Villarreal, R., Suarez, L., McAlister, A., Perez-Stable, E.J., Trapido, E.J., and Marti, J. (2000) Breast Cancer Screening in Regional Hispanic Populations. Health Education Research: Theory and Practice. 15: 559-568.