- M.D., Georgetown University (1977)
- B.S., Biology, College of Wooster (1973)
- Board Certification, Internal Medicine (1982)
- Board Certification, Infectious Diseases (1986)
HIV/AIDS Epidemiology, Prevention, and Care; Infectious Diseases; Health risk reduction; Health Disparities; International Health
Dr. Stephanie Brodine is Professor and Head of the Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. She is board certified in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases with active research interests and expertise in Infectious Diseases Epidemiology, particularly in HIV and AIDS, International Health, and Health Disparities. She is the Clinical Director of the DoD HIV/AIDS Prevention Program, which has HIV prevention and care activities in approximately 70 countries. In the area of Health Disparities, she is Program Director of the California NARCH (Native American Research Center for Health), in partnership with the Indian Health Council. CA-NARCH is funded by the NIGMS and the Indian Health Service, with active research and student development projects. She is also active in U.S./Mexico border educational and research collaborations and is the U.S. coordinator of the VIIDAI program and a co-investigator in a recently funded USAID TIES program. Dr. Brodine has over 75 publications and has research and program management funding from NIH, USAID, and US DoD.
- Shaffer, R.A., Rauh, M., Brodine, S., Trone, D.W., and Macera, C.A. (2006) ). Predictors of stress fracture susceptibility in young women. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 34: -.
- Toyanbutra, S., Brodine, S.K., Mascola, J.R., Sankale, J.L., Sanders-Buell, E., Kim, B., Birx, D.L., and McCutchan, F.E. (2005) Characterization of complete HIV type 1 genomes from non-B subtype infections in U.S. military personnel. Res Hum Retroviruses. 21: 424-429.
- Boyer, C.B., Shafer, M., Shaffer, R.A., Brodine, S.K., Pollack, L.M., Betsinger, K., Chang, Y.J., Kraft, H.S., and Schacter, J. (2005) Evaluation of a cognitive-behavioral group. Preventive Medicine. 40: 420-431.
- McCutchan, F.E., Sankale, J.L., M'Boup, S., Kim, B., Toyanabutra, S., Hamel, D.J., Brodine, S.K., Kanki, P.J., and Birx, D.L. (2004) HIV type 1 circulating recombinant form CRF09_cpx from west Afrixa combines subtype G, and may share ancestors with CRF02_AG and Z321. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 20: 819-826.
- Naniche, D., Garenne, M., Rae, C., Manchester, M., Buchta, R., Brodine, S.K., and Oldstone, M.B.A. (2004) ) Decline of measles virus-specific CD4 T cell memory in vaccinated humans. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 190: 1387-1395.
- Bakhireva, L.N., Abebe, Y., Brodine, S.K., Kraft, H.S., Shaffer, R.A., and Boyer, C.B. (2004) Human Immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome knowledge and risk factors in Ethiopian military personnel. Mil Med. 169: 221-226.
- Brodine, S.K., and Shafer, M.A. (2003) ) Combating Chlamydia in the Military: Why Arenít We Winning the War?. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 30: 539-544.
- Crum, N.F., Wallace, M.R., Stephan, K., Blazes, D.L., Aronson, N., Tasker, S.A., Thomas, A.G., Wegner, S., Casper, C., Wald, A., Corey, L., and Brodine, S.K. (2003) Correlates of Human Herpesvirus-8 Seropositivity Among U.S. Military members Recently Infected With Human Immunodeficiency Virus. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 30: 713-718.
- Brodine, S.K., Starkey, M.J., Shaffer, R.A., Ito, S.I., Tasker, S.A., and Barile, A.J. (2003) Diverse HIV-1 Subtypes and Associated Clinical, Laboratory, and Behavioral Factors in a Recently Infected U.S. Military Cohort. AIDS. 17: 2521-2527.
- Wegner, S.A., Brodine, S.K., Mascola, J.R., Tasker, S.A., Shaffer, R.A., and Starkey, M.J. (2000) Prevalence of genotypic and phyotypic resistance to anti-retroviral drugs in a cohort of therapy-naÔve HIV-1 infected US military personnel. AIDS. 14: 1-7.
- Kaufman, K.R., Brodine, S.K., and Shaffer, R.A. (2000) Military overuse injuries: Incidence, surveillance, and prevention. American Journal of Preventative Medicine. 18: 44-63.
- Beck, T.J., Cuff, C.B., Shaffer, R.A., Betsinger, K., Trone, D.W., and Brodine, S.K. (2000) Stress fracture in military recruits: Gender differences in muscle and bone susceptibility factors. Bone. 27: 437-444.
- Castillo, E.M., Rickman, L.S., Brodine, S.K., Ledbetter, E.K., and Kelly, C. (2000) Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteremia in an era of penicillin resistance. American Journal of Infection Control. 28: 1-5.
- Brodine, S.K., Shaffer, R.A., Starkey, M.J., Tasker, S.A., Gilcrest, J.L., and Louder, M.K. (1999) Drug resistance patterns, genetic subtypes, clinical features, and risk factors in military personnel with HIV-1 seroconversion. Annals of Internal Medicine. 131: 502-506.
- Shaffer, R.A., Brodine, S.K., Almeida, S.A., Maxwell, W.K., and Ronaghy, S. (1999) The use of simple measures of physical activity to predict stress fractures in young men undergoing a rigorous physical training program. American Journal of Epidemiology. 149: 236-242.