Division of Health Promotion and Behavioral Science
Distinguished Professor, Emeritus Faculty
Phone: (858) 505-4772
Office: 9245 Sky Park Court, suite 230
Download CV (pdf)
- MPH, Epidemiology, University of California-Berkeley (1981)
- PhD, Human Development/Child Psychology, University of Kansas (1976)
- MA, Behavior Analysis Experimental Psychology, W. Michigan University (1973)
- BA, General Psychology, San Francisco State University (1972)
I focus on studies of the etiology of health-related behavior following the Behavioral Ecological Model. This includes studies of classic risk practices, such as diet and physicial activity, as well as studies of clinicans’ service delivery. It also addresses means by which the influence of and change in culture can be achieved to establish healthy practices in whole populations.
Dr. Hovell holds a PhD in Child Psychology and Human Development with specialization in adolescent development from the University of Kansas and a postdoctoral MPH in Social Epidemiology from the University of California at Berkeley. Dr. Hovell is the former and founding Head of the Division of Health Promotion.
- For an up to date publications list see Google Scholar.