Division of Health Promotion and Behavioral Science
Download CV (pdf)
- MPH, Health and Social Behavior, Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health (2016)
- PhD, Developmental Psychology, University of Michigan (2010)
- BA, Psychology and English, University of California, Los Angeles (2005)
- Adolescent health
- LGBT health
- Health of boys and men across the lifespan
- Body image and eating disorders
- Community-based participatory research approaches
Dr. Jerel P. Calzo is an Associate Professor in the Division of Health Promotion and Behavioral Science. He is a developmental psychologist with postdoctoral training in social epidemiology. Prior to coming to SDSU, Dr. Calzo was an Assistant Professor in Pediatrics at the Harvard Medical School, and a Research Scientist in the Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine at Boston Children’s Hospital. Dr. Calzo’s research focuses on the development of gender and sexual orientation health disparities in adolescence and young adulthood, with two primary research areas. His first line of research concerns the development of body image and eating disorder risk in heterosexual and sexual minority males. His second line of research focuses on using community-based participatory research approaches to develop school and community-based programs to support the health and positive youth development of gender and sexual minority adolescents and young adults.
- For an up to date publications list see Google Scholar.