Planning and preparation for enrollment in PH 497 should begin in the semester prior to registering for the class and/or starting an internship (in most cases the planning will occur in the Spring semester of the 3rd year).
Below are some recommended steps for ensuring that you plan appropriately:
- For PH 497 (field placement) eligibility please review the School of Public Health – Bachelor of Science in Public Health Advising Sheet
- Thoroughly read the Field Placement Frequently Asked Questions and PH 497 Checklist before initiating the Field Placement search and approval process
- For tips on how to find an internship, see Finding an Internship.
- Prior to starting an internship, you must get approval from the Field Placement Advisor by submitting the Request for Field Placement Approval. For quicker approval please complete the form thoroughly with details that clearly demonstrate that your project meets field placement objectives and expectations.
NOTE: Students may secure and start an internship in the semester prior to the semester they plan to enroll/receive PH 497 credit; however, work cannot be initiated until the site has been approved by the Field Placement Advisor.
- To register for PH 497 submit the PH 497 Registration Code Request during the registration period. Your request will be reviewed for eligibility.
NOTE: You do not have to have a site secured before you register for PH 497. You will have until 72 hours prior to Add/Drop date to secure and submit the PH 497 Enrollment Request to allow time for the registration code to be generated.